- All access control panels supply lock power.
- All access control systems require the use of a dedicated PC.
- When using the request to exit (REX) motion detectors and buttons, they should be wired in the following fashion.
a. to the request to exit terminals on the access control panel
b. directly to the locking device
c. to the alarm input of the access control panel
d. None of the above
- Which of the following are biometric readers?
c. Facial recognition
d. All of the above
- What is the greatest card number a 26-bit card can have?
- In the illustration here, the handing of the door is
a. LH (Left Hand)
b. RHR (Right Hand Reverse)
c. LHR (Left Hand Reverse)
d. None of the above
- What is the maximum distance a Wiegand signal can travel on 18 AWG OAS (American Wire Gauge overall shield) wire?
a. 300 feet
b. 500 feet
c. 1000 feet
d. No limit
- If you want a strike to “buzz” you must use the following:
a. DC power supply
b. AC transformer
- All smart cards are 125 kHz.
- What is the maximum number of access control panels you can support on one 2-wire RS-485 bus?
- What does MOV stand for?
a. Multiple Option Voltmeter
b. Metal Oxide Varistor
c. Metal Opposing Voltage
- What is the maximum cable length of a single run of RS-485 communication?
a. 1000 feet
b. 2500 feet
c. 4000 feet
d. 6000 feet
- A pneumatic request to exit device requires which power source?
a. A hydraulic fluid switch
b. Requires no electric power
c. Uses an air pressure switch
d. Both B & C
- What are the most important things to consider regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) when performing a survey for door closers?
a. Minimum clear width of an opening
b. Compliant door hardware
c. Compliant threshold
d. Compliant door closing means
e. All of the above
- To meet the forward reach requirement for ADA, hardware for accessible doors should be mounted no higher than ____ above the finished floor.
a. 48 inches
b. 36 inches
c. 54 inches
- To install a Wiegand output reader you need to wire to the following terminals/leads
a. DC positive (red wire)
b. Data one (green wire)
c. Data zero (white wire)
d. Card present (violet wire)
e. Red LED (brown wire)
f. Ground (black wire)
g. All of the above
- Facial recognition systems use minutiae points for verification.
- Maglocks are _________.
a. Fail safe
b. Fail secure
- All proximity cards are direct-printable.
- When using biometric readers with Wiegand output, templates must be programmed at the first reader in the system.
Here are the answers to 20 QuestionsStop! If you haven’t already taken our 20 Questions quiz, then turn back to page 14. If you have, then get ready to score yourself and learn something in the process. Although 20 Questions is not accredited by an official learning institution, we’ve created a scoring guide anyway, just for fun.
Number of correct answers Rating
18-19 Very good
12-13 Below average
11 or fewer Poor
- False - As a general design, the majority of access panels do not supply lock power; however, there are a few manufacturers that do. Refer to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- False - A dedicated PC is not necessary for all systems. Several manufacturers’ access systems are stand-alone, and do not require the use of a PC.
- a - To the request to exit terminals on the access control panel to ensure the system puts a shunt on the exit and door contact.
- d - All of the above.
- b - 65,535
- c - LHR (Left hand reverse). Secure side is the pull side of the door.
- b - 500 feet
- b - AC transformer
- b - False. Smart cards are 13.56 mHz.
- c - 32. The standard supports 32 drivers and 32 receivers. (Control panels are both.)
- b - Metal Oxide Varistor. This is a surge suppressor that protects the panel from returning voltage from the lock.
- c - 4000 feet. This distance is obtainable because of the differential voltage transmission used.
- d - Pneumatics can be either air or manually utilized. They provide remote unlocking control in hazardous areas.
- e - All of the above.
- a - 48 inches
- a, b, c, e, f - Card present is for clock and data output.
- b - False. Facial recognition uses high-resolution still images and 3-D face algorithms.
- a - All mag locks are fail safe.
- b - False. In order to print on a proximity card, it must have a glossy surface and be no more than 0.040 millimeters thick.
- b - False. Because the readers are tied together on an RS-485 loop, any reader in the system can be the programming reader.