Legislation Threatens Alarm Business in Virginia
- The bill is a "tax" on businesses and customers in the state.
- The fees originally envisioned covering just firefighters but has now increased to other state and local employees, increasing the bill's cost to the industry.
- There is no limit to the fees proposed -- in just one month since introduction, fees in the bill to monitoring companies have jumped from $1.00 to $2.50 and they are now considering broadening this legislation to local employees.
- The legislation was not reported in 2008 despite passage in the State Senate.
- The state has no idea how many customers nor businesses will be impacted to pay for the benefits.
- It's unfair to single out one industry.