Security Reference Materials
1. Code books do not need to be replaced each time a new one comes out since there are usually only minor changes.
2. In most cases the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) is required to follow the code without exception.
3. Which of the following are good source(s) to obtain resource material?
b. Construction Bookstore
e. All of the above
f. None of the above
4. The words “should” and “shall” are used interchangeably in reference material.
5. According to NFPA 72, which of the following is not an example of a qualified individual?
a. A person certified by a nationally recognized certification organization acceptable to the AHJ.
b. A person who attends a one-day factory training and certification class for the type of system being serviced.
c. Anyone registered, licensed, or certified by a state or local authority.
d. Anyone defined by OSHA as a “competent person.”
e. This is a trick question; all of these are acceptable.
6. The scope of the National Electrical Code includes all types of electrical installations including public and private premises; installations of conductor and equipment that connect the supply of electricity; installations used by the electric utility; installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility; and yards, lots, parking lots, carnivals and industrial substations.
7. The difference between a mandatory rule and a permissive rule is
a. A mandatory rule prohibits something and a permissive rule allows it.
b. A mandatory rule identifies actions that are specifically required and a permissive rule identifies an action that is acceptable but not mandatory.
c. A mandatory rule cannot be overruled by the AHJ without exception while a permissive rule may.
d. A mandatory rule is established by the local authority while the permissive rules are defined in code.
8. A good resource for information regarding the installation of central-station-service type systems would be:
a. NFPA 70
c. UL, FM or ETL
d. State alarm association
9. NICET is a good resource to obtain training for your technicians.
10. You are installing a protection device from XYZ Alarm Manufacturing and Supply Company. The proper way to install that device can be found
a. by contacting the alarm association.
b. by contacting UL or FM for requirements.
c. on the instructions that are now in the dumpster with the packing materials.
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
11. When performing work for a general contractor you are presented with a standardized sub-contract agreement. The best resource to determine if you should accept the agreement and sign it would be
a. the AIA that prepared the agreement.
b. the local chapter of the builders association in your state, which is probably familiar with the contractor.
c. your attorney.
d. your accountant.
9. If you are looking for a standardized training program for a central station monitoring operator, a good place to start would be:
b. The local fire department to see what their requirements are
12. Reviewing The Americans With Disabilities Act is a good way to find out the proper installation procedures for a fire alarm system that will comply with rules for the handicapped not otherwise covered in the National Fire Alarm Code.
14. When asked to obtain a surety bond the best resource to help review the requirements would be
a. NFPA 72, Article 250.
b. your insurance agent.
c. the local electrical supply house because they are familiar with the requirements for assuring a good connection from electrical equipment to ground.
d. the local savings bank because they issue government Series E Bonds.
What’s Wrong With This?
An alarm technician tried to install a radio in a residential application. He installed the control panel and the radio inside the closet inside the master bedroom. He was unable to get a transmission signal. He looked around for anything blocking the signal. He moved the radio outside to test, and it worked fine. The homeowner used green building products in the home, including recycled material. The siding was recycled concrete siding. The insulation was a spray on expanding foam. The roof was made of recycled metal scrap. There is another bedroom and a bathroom directly above the master bedroom. What is the problem?
Answer to: What’s Wrong With This?
Because of the house’s construction, the alarm technician needed to install an antenna outside the house as high as possible to avoid having the signal blocked by the metal roofing.
5-Minute Tech Quiz Answers
Here are the answers to 5-Minute Tech Quiz which appears on page 138.
2. b — NFPA 72, 2011, 90.4
5. d — NFPA 72, 10.4.3.1, 2010 Edition
6. b — NFPA 70, 90.2, 2011 does not include installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility.
9. b — NICET is a testing organization and does not provide training itself.