Do You Know the International Building Code?
All Answers relate to NFPA 70, 2017 Edition
1. What section of the IFC outlines requirements for fire alarm and detection systems?
2. A manual fire alarm system that activates the occupant notification system shall be installed in Group A occupancies with an occupant load of ________.
A. not more than 50
B. greater than 300
3. Group E occupancies of ________ are not required to have a manual fire alarm system.
A. less than 100
B. 50 or more
C. 30 or less
D. always required
4. An emergency voice/alarm communication system shall be provided in covered and open mall buildings where the total floor area exceeds __________.
A. 4,645 m2
B. 10,000 square feet
C. 30,000 square feet
D. 1,000 m2
5. Where a fire alarm system is required by another section of the IFC, it shall be activated by all of the following except:
A. automatic fire detectors
B. automatic sprinkler system waterflow devices
C. manual fire alarm boxes
D. the emergency voice/alarm system
6. Wiring for a smoke control system, regardless of voltage, shall be fully enclosed within continuous raceways.
7. A manual fire alarm box is required for fire alarm systems dedicated to elevator recall control and supervisory service.
8. Smoke control and detection systems shall be clearly marked _________.
A. with red color
B. at all junctions, accesses and terminations
C. on the blueprints and at the control panel
D. at the smoke control panel
9. In determining the maximum probable stack effect, which of the following is not considered?
C. weather history
D. external temperatures
10. All portions of smoke control systems shall be capable of continuous operation after detection of the fire event for a period of ___________ or ______________,
A. not less than 20 minutes or two times the calculated egress time
B. at least 30 minutes or five times the calculated egress time
C. 24 hours or 15 minutes of ring time
D. not less than 20 minutes or one-and-a-half times the calculated egress time
11. Carbon dioxide extinguishing systems shall be installed in accordance with NFPA _________.
12. Dry chemical extinguishing systems shall be installed in accordance with NFPA _________.
13. When a building fire alarm system exists, the automatic fire extinguishing systems shall be monitored by the building fire alarm system.
14. An automatic carbon dioxide extinguishing system protecting commercial-type cooking equipment shall be arranged to shut off the ________.
B. ventilation system
C. cooking electric
D. all associated equipment within 30 feet
What’s Wrong With This?
Can you identify this product and what it is used for?
Click here to see the answer.
Answer to Can You Identify This?:
This is a UL-listed accessory device designed to support smoke detectors, cameras and other equipment without the need for ceiling brackets and boxes, provided the connection or splice can be made wholly inside of the detector.