The Electronic Security Association communicated the sad news yesterday that one of its past presidents, Henry John Poile, had passed away. He served as president of the National Burglar & Fire Alarm Association between 1965 and 1967.
“John worked in the security business throughout his professional life. After serving in WWII, John returned home to work in his family's security business. In 1959, upon his father's death, he became owner and president of the business, renaming the company Kedzie Kane Alarm. John owned the company from 1959 until 1972, when he sold it to Honeywell. He continued as their branch manager in Elk Grove Village, Ill., until retiring in 1992, after which he provided part-time consultation until 1995,” stated ESA in a message distributed by e-mail on Monday.
“As president of NBFAA, John was an inspiring leader, urging the membership to get involved and to look for ways to better the association and their businesses. Always inquisitive in nature, he promoted efficient, successful procedures through the concept of look, study and discover,” ESA stated.
The visitation and funeral information follows:
The visitation wake will be Wednes., December 16, 2009 at Gibbons-Elliston Funeral Home, 60 S. Grant St., Hinsdale, IL; (630) 323-0275 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
The funeral will be Thurs., December 17, 2009 at Notre Dame Roman Catholic Church, 64 Norfolk Ave., Clarendon Hills, IL; (630) 654-3365 at 10:00 a.m. There will be a shortened visitation at 9:15 a.m. just prior to the funeral mass in the church sanctuary.
Interment will follow at Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Hillside, IL.
In lieu of flowers, please send donations to Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation, 1332 N. Halsted St., Suite 201, Chicago, IL, 60642.
According to the message issued by ESA, John’s son, David, said: “I was my father’s caregiver for the last year-and-a-half and his passing has been particularly difficult for me. He passed away early Sunday morning, Dec. 13, 2009, at Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove, Ill., of complications due to pneumonia.
“He had been in the hospital for one week. He was literally fine one moment and then he was not fine the next. He was making progress all week and on Friday I thought he was very close to turning the corner and beating the illness. Sadly, that was not the case. He did put up a good fight,” David shared.
David Poile may be reached at (847) 810-9488 or through email at