ESA will hold its annual Day on Capitol Hill May 3 and 4, 2011 in Washington, D.C. The association invites colleagues to join them as they meet with congressional representatives and their staffs to discuss issues that are critical to the security industry and public safety.
Invited guest speakers include Congressman Sam Graves of Missouri’s 6th Congressional District and U.S. Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer of the 9th Congressional District of Missouri.
ESA’s director of government relations, John Chwat and his staff at Chwat & Co., will make all congressional appointments for attendees in advance and will obtain security clearances for all attendees. Information packets will be distributed to all attendees with pertinent industry issues, including talking points to use while visiting your representatives.
ESA has also organized networking and social events at this two-day gathering of ESA members from across the country.
Legislative issues to be discussed include:
- The “Electronic Life Safety and Security & Systems Federal Background Check Act.”
- A balanced approach to fire system design: Alarm & Detection alongside Suppression.
- Video Surveillance in Nursing Homes.
- Repeal of a sweeping new requirement mandating that federal, state, and local governments withhold 3 percent from payments for goods and services effective January 1, 2012.
- Repeal of a provision that requires businesses to issue Forms 1099 to all vendors that provide services or property to the business.
Register to be a part of Day on Capitol Hill at www.alarm.org.