Expanding Opportunities to Offer Sustainable Options in the Home
Home energy management options, lighting control, solar power (and much more) offers home owners sustainable, green options, which is the theme of this month’s smartHOME e-news in honor of Earth Month (April) and Earth Day(April 22, 2014). Throughout this special issue you’ll find research predicting growth in this category, products and services, suggestions for increasing sustainability at your company and more. New studies and industry activity continue to forecast a bright future for this category, reporting that consumers and new homeowners want energy efficiency, automation, and sustainable options.
- A majority (61 percent) of homeowners expect to purchase energy-efficiency home automation technology at some point in the future, according to a Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) study.
- A notable 32 percent of homeowners would like an energy management system, reports the NAHB in “What Homebuyers’ Really Want.”
- California-based Nest Labs was recently acquired by Google for $3.2 billion, pointing towards the strong growth opportunities in the space. Read more in “Nest Snapped up by Google.”
- The rise of average monthly electricity bills in the past 10 years is documented in The U.S. Energy Information Administration's 2012 “Electric Sales, Revenue, and Average Price" report,” which in turn is driving demand for new solutions.
- 43 percent of U.S. broadband households are willing to purchase a smart thermostat if offered a $25 rebate, according to new research from Parks Associates.
Throughout the industry companies are taking the lead on offering sustainable products and services, but also regulating their own operations.
“We have always been a company that has been conservation alert and that has made sure not to try and have a lot of waste,” says Matthew Ladd, president and chief operating officer at The Protection Bureau, a full-service systems integrator based in Exton, Pa.
Read his suggestions on how to just start in “7 Ways to Start: Sustainability in Your Security Company.”
Earth Day(April 22, 2014) continues to be a great reminder to highlight the green and sustainability options this industry offers. For more on what the smartHOME industry is doing to rethink projects, products and processes to offer plant-friendly, energy-saving, bill-reducing options, visit www.sdmmag.com/green. Send us what you are doing as well.
— The smartHOME Editors
Note: Are you doing something green or sustainable that should be covered? Contact SDM’s Senior Editor Heather Klotz-Young at 630-962-0096 or firstname.lastname@example.org.