The Security Industry Association (SIA) marked Data Privacy Day on Jan. 28 by continuing its efforts to help its members understand and manage the critical issue of protecting consumer data.
SIA has taken a leading position on privacy issues for many years, having released its original Privacy Framework in 2010. It has become even more active recently, starting with the 2017 creation of the SIA Data Privacy Advisory Board. Recently, SIA also has:
- published white papers on “Data Privacy and Security Trends for 2018” and “Big Data and Privacy for Physical Security;”
- presented a webinar on “Privacy 101: The Importance of Protecting Customer Data;”
- produced fact sheets, a list of references and videos on the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR);
- submitted comments to the National Institute of Standards and Technology on its Privacy Framework proposal; and
- organized a panel discussion on data privacy for an integrators’ conference.
In addition, SIA is conducting a survey of its members to gauge industry opinions about data privacy and to identify future SIA activities and programs.
With the GDPR now in effect, California having passed the Consumer Privacy Act, and many members of Congress and state lawmakers considering data privacy legislation, SIA CEO Don Erickson said that the association is stressing to its members that they should get ahead of potential regulations rather than wait and react to them.
“It is vital that members of the security industry ensure that their business practices, as well as their products and services, are designed in a way that protects data and consumer privacy,” Erickson said. “One of SIA’s top priorities is helping the industry to understand that this is not just a matter of regulatory compliance, but also one of customer service and, even, business development. We are committed to providing resources and guidance that will enable them to view data privacy challenges not as a crisis but, rather, an opportunity.”
Learn more about the SIA Data Privacy Advisory Board.