The SIA Government Summit, the premier public policy conference in the security industry, is being held June 19 and 20 at the Embassy Suites Washington Convention Center Hotel in Washington D.C.
Summit participants will have the opportunity to visit Capitol Hill to meet with members of Congress on June 18 at a Congressional Reception in the evening, in the Rayburn Foyer of the Rayburn House Office Building. Opening remarks on June 19 will be followed by panel discussions on post 9/11 procurement; public safety from an end-user perspective; the future of access and ID management; securing the smart grid; a briefing on contracting and procurement within the defense and intelligence communities; and connecting with state and local government.
Keynote speakers for the Summit include:
- Brad Thor, the No. 1 New York Times bestselling author of Full Black, Foreign Influence. Thor will speak on June 19.
- Senator Fred Thompson, known as much for his many other endeavors as for his political career, will be the keynote speaker at the Security Industry Association’s (SIA) annual Public Policy Dinner on June 19 held at The Hamilton Live in Washington, D.C.
- Representative Pete King (R-NY) will speak on June 20 at 9:00 a.m. Rep. King is chairman of the Homeland Security Committee and also serves on the Financial Services Committee and Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
- Mark Borkowski, the assistant commissioner for the Office of Technology Innovation and Acquisition (OTIA) with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
The tentative schedule for the Summit follows:
Tuesday, June 19
- Post 9-11 Procurement Policy – Kellie Stoker, Chief Law Enforcement and Security at GSA, and Brian Finch, a SAFETY Act expert from the law firm of Dickstein Shapiro, LLP
- Public Safety – an End-User Perspective – Stewart Branam, director of Security, Washington Nationals Baseball, will join Kevin Hay, chief of police, The George Washington University, and Richard Greninger, international vice-chair, Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA)
- The Future of Access/ID Management – John Schwartz, assistant director of TWIC Programs, Jeremy Grant, senior executive advisor, NIST, and Doug Morgan, chief strategy officer, C-SAM
- The Future and Consequences of Surveillance – New York Times best-selling author Brad Thor (lunch keynote)
- Securing the Smart Grid – Paul Molitor, assistant vice president of Smart Grid and Special Projects for NEMA; other speakers to be announced
- Contracting and Procurement with the Defense Community – Pat Traeger, SOCCENT, Erik Syvrud of Army Research Labs a representative from DoD’s Small Business Ombudsman’s office
- Public Policy Dinner at The Hamilton Live – Fred Thompson, keynote speaker
Wednesday, June 20
- Keynote Breakfast – Rep. Pete King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee
- Federal Grants and the Future of Federal Funding – Roger Kilmer, director, Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership, Gary Rodgers, Senior Policy Advisor for DHS FEMA Grant Programs, and Rob Chapman, COPS Program (DOJ)
- Critical Infrastructure Protection – William Flynn, deputy assistant secretary, Office of Infrastructure Protection at DHS, Charles Chambers senior vice president and CDO of National Safe Skies Alliance Inc., and Dr. John Moteff, Congressional Research Service
- Border Protection and the Role of Electronic Surveillance – Mark Borkowski, assistant commissioner for the Office of Technology Innovation and Acquisition (OTIA) with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Registration for the 2012 SIA Government Summit is open at www.siaonline.org/summit.