Test your security cable knowledge with the following quiz.
1. Communication circuit requirements are found in which of the following:
A. NFPA 72, Chapter 760
B. UL 681
C. NFPA 70, Article 800
D. NFPA 101, Section 300
2. In “other building locations,” what is the maximum distance permitted for exposed Type CL2X wires and cables in concealed spaces?
A. 15 feet
B. 5 feet
C. 10 meters
D. 10 feet
Feedback: D – NFPA 70, 2017, 725.133 (K)(2)
3. Which Article within NFPA 70 provides requirements for wiring contained solely within an information technology equipment room?
4. How much of abandoned cable must be removed?
A. All of it
B. Only portions that can be seen
C. Portions subject to damage or that might otherwise cause damage
D. Any accessible portion of the communications cables
Feedback: D – NFPA 70, 2017, 800.25
5. Sets of overhead service conductors and communications service drops must have a minimum separation of ______ for the entire length of the span.
A. 1 foot
B. 2 inches
C. 6 inches
D. 36 inches
Feedback: A – NFPA 70, 2017, 800.44 (4)
6. Unlisted cables used for outside plant communications shall be permitted.
Feedback: A – NFPA 70, 2017 800.48
7. Communication cables are not permitted to be installed in non-metallic raceways.
Feedback: B - NFPA 70, 2017, 800.110(2)
8. Communications cables are permitted to be installed in the same raceway with all the following except:
A. optical fiber cables
B. Class 2 and 3 cables
C. CATV cables
D. NPFLA circuits
Feedback: D - NFPA 70, 2017, 800.133(A)(1)(a)
9. Communications wires and cables shall be separated at least _____¬_ from conductors of any electric light, power, Class 1 and non-power-limited fire alarm circuits.
A. ¼ inch
B. 1 inch
C. 2 inches
D. 6 inches
Feedback: C – NFPA 70, 2017, 800.133(A)(2)
10. Communications utility equipment located in building spaces used exclusively for such use isn’t required to comply with NFPA 70 installation requirements.
11. How far must communications cables be from lightning conductors?
A. 2 feet
B. 4 feet
C. 6 feet
D. 12 feet
12. Network-powered broadband communications cables attached to buildings or structures and located within ______ of finished grade shall be protected by enclosures, raceways, or other approved means.
A. 6 feet
B. 8 feet
C. 10 feet
D. 12 feet
Feedback: B – NFPA 70, 2017, 830.44(G)(4)
13. Which of the following cables is specifically fabricated to be permitted in ducts used for environmental air?
Feedback: C - NFPA 70, 2017, 830.113(B)(2)
14. Network-powered broadband communication bonding conductor or grounding electrode in one and two-family dwellings shall not exceed ______?
A. 6 feet
B. 12 feet
C. 20 feet
D. 25 feet
Feedback: C - NFPA 70, 2017, 830.100(4)
15. In addition to Article 800-840, installation of cables must also comply with Section(s
A. 300.4 and 300.11
Feedback: A - NFPA 70, 2017, 800.24
Post-Quiz Extra: Can you identify?
What are these and how are they used? What else is necessary to properly utilize them?
Click here to see the answer.
These are cable terminators. They are used on amplifiers and/or splitters when the number of outputs exceeds that which is required. The tool shown here is used to install and to remove the terminators.