Let’s get personal here — 2020 has certainly been a challenging year. So many things are in turmoil; disruption and uncertainty abound in our personal and professional lives. Business projects plans, and the future, are up in the air. How can we cope and survive, maybe even grow and thrive?
Here are some ideas to help businesses get on innovative tracks and find success in the new normal:
- Re-evaluate plans, markets and offerings.
- Think outside-the-box, and get creative with opportunities.
- Simplify and focus on short-term objectives.
- Engage other team members in the plans.
- Define specific and realistic actions and goals.
- Identify Go/No-Go points, measure performance and define contingency plans.
As an industry professional, seek out actions to steer your career to a satisfying and successful journey:
- Perform a self-inventory of your skills and strengths.
- Define personal career objectives and an estimated timeline.
- Select one way to better yourself and do it.
- Be polite, direct, honest and respectful.
- Listen and confirm; “mirror” back what you heard, and then respond.
- Don’t complain, make excuses or blame others.
Lastly, and most important, what can we do to enhance our personal lives and increase fulfillment?
- Count your blessings and be open to change.
- Practice forgiveness and help others.
- Listen twice as much as you speak (remember, you have two ears and one mouth).
- Smile often, make it contagious and surprise people.
- Seize every day with a fresh outlook and positive attitude.
- Be yourself, enjoy the journey and above all, have fun!
As the saying goes, “Life is a journey, not a destination.” The goal is not just getting there, but enjoying and learning as we go down the road, focusing on becoming the best we can be — in our careers, and our personal lives. Contributing, feeling good about accomplishments and always learning and improving makes our lives worthwhile. Continue to make a positive difference at work and in your personal life, for the rewards are well worth the effort.